Performs a wide variety of industrial machine mechanical and electrical assembly work. Conducts testing of industrial equipment and compiles testing reports under the direction of an engineer.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Build and test Engineering machine subassembly prototypes involving mechanical and electrical systems.
- Develop and execute detailed test procedures and document the results.
- Conduct experiments to determine the performance level of machine systems.
- Using Microsoft Excel and Word create test reports for engineers.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose mechanical and electrical malfunctions.
- On larger projects, lead and direct the work of assembly workers to build machines.
- Track and report progress on a large set of build and test activities
- Actively participate in cross functional design reviews.
- Make recommendations for improving mechanical and electrical systems.
- Train customers and other BTU personnel in the operation and maintenance equipment. May be required to visit customer sites and travel on company business to set up, train or maintain equipment.
- Participate in the development and review of industrial equipment user and maintenance manuals.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Adhere to all BTU safety polices.
Skills and knowledge
- Highly skilled at working from assembly drawings and building complex mechanical assemblies
- Highly skilled at reading machine wiring diagrams and wiring complex circuits
- Highly skilled at both mechanical and electrical machine troubleshooting
- Proficient and confident operating large industrial machinery
- Experience in a R&D product development environment
- Strong electro/mechanical fabrication skills using standard hand tools
- Ability to build prototype assemblies from minimal documentation (hand sketch, or verbal instructions)
- Sheet metal, manual lathe, milling machine and TIG welding skills are a plus
- Good verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to write clear and concise testing report.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Able to construct and follow a project plan
- Strong ability to work with others and be an active part of a cross functional team.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and work to a schedule.
Education and experience
- Associates Degree in Engineering or equivalent military training
- Minimum 2 years of experience performing electrical wiring and mechanical assembly
- Minimum 2 years of machine testing and troubleshooting experience