Manufacturing Engineer III
Location: North Billerica, MA
Provides technical direction and performs work of a complex nature in acting as a liaison between Engineering, Purchasing, Quality and Manufacturing departments. Assures the manufacture and the purchase of products meet the functional requirements at the lowest possible cost. Maintain constant surveillance over product design and manufacturing processes for the purpose of reducing and controlling costs.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Provide manufacturing engineering support for existing and new product Introductions from design through production. Review new or revised designs for form, fit and function ensuring manufacturing feasibility, optimum costs and quality based on DFX principles. Serves as a member of product design teams and facilitates design and process risk assessment such as FMEA’s.
- Support assembly and test procedures, work-flow diagrams, Demand Flow and shop layout to meet production forecasts. Establish labor manufacturing time standards and routings for costing, cycle time, manpower and capacity planning. Conduct studies to determine available capacity, space and equipment requirements and skill level against the present and future manufacturing needs.
- Set up production lines/work and JIT cells, minimizing waste, multiple handlings and non-value add activities. Develop and procure necessary tooling, jigs and fixtures, detailed method sheets, process instructions including paint specifications for use in house & at suppliers to support the manufacturing process and design specifications.
- Work with production personnel to resolve manufacturing problems, clarify, improve, and streamline manufacturing processes to assure efficient workforce and space utilization of the manufacturing environment. Identify problem, the root cause, short-term fix, long-term corrective action and implementation plan.
- Guide and provide direction to junior technical staff in their personal development and assigned tasks.
- Approve and process ECO’s.
- Assists in capital equipment planning, budgeting, ROI justification and implementation.
- Maintain and adhere to established procedures work instructions, environmental health and safety requirements to ensure compliance to ISO 9000 and other company standards.
- Provide real time support to our China operations.
- Evaluate supplier’s capabilities and potential for use of value-added labor. Conduct make/buy decisions.
- Strictly adhere to all BTU safety policies.
Skills and knowledge
- Candidate should be a strong team player with strong leadership skills and flexibility to adapt to organizational needs and priorities.
- Must be hands-on, intuitive and solution-oriented with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in using Windows based applications such as Microsoft Office, Visio and Microsoft Project.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a Pro-Engineer CAD environment. Working knowledge and hands-on experience working with Pro-Engineer, Pro-Process and AutoCAD.
- Experienced in Epicor Vantage ERP system and creation of method of manufacturing BOM’s.
- Experience in common machining, sheet metal forming, fabrication and finishing processes.
Education and experience
- Masters of Science preferred, and/or Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical, or Industrial Engineering or Engineering Technology.
- A minimum of 10 years related experience.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Ability to travel 15% of the time.