Mechanical Engineer II
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Will actively participate as a global team member with other Engineers, Designers, Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, and Purchasing personnel to complete design projects quickly and cost effectively.
• Coordinate project tasks and schedules, delegate work to designers or drafters and support staff as required.
• Responsible for the design, prototyping, testing, specification and documentation of thermal processing systems, subassemblies and components. Responsible for the layout and detailed mechanical design and documentation of subsystems and subassemblies.
• Drive projects involving new concepts and approaches to the design on new products.
• Recommend materials and components for inclusion in design specifications based on past experience and on catalogue reference data.
• Solve technical problems with equipment in the field, provide technical expertise to the Sales organization, work with and develop suppliers, interact and direct engineering activities.
• Strong understanding of 3D Mechanical CAD including detail drawings/models and applying large assembly management skills. Pro-Engineer/Creo5 preferred.
• Study industry standards and ensure that designs are safe and meet applicable industry safety requirements.
• Actively Participate in Design Reviews. Review designs with other Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, and Marketing personnel as well as equipment users to ensure that designs meet all requirements.
• Prepare and present written, oral visual material to support proposals, presentations, design reviews and written reports.
• Develop cost estimates for proposed projects which include labor and material costs.
• Organize and maintain project folders and report project status to Manager, Engineers and others on a regular basis. Must keep technical information updates and a folder system that works for the department.
• Plan, perform or direct and document experiments to prove design performance.
• Deal with work-processes, optimization methods, and risk management tools in such projects.
• Strictly adhere to all BTU safety polices.
Other duties and responsibilities
• High Temp material selection – A ceramics background would be a plus, along with corrosion experience.
• The understanding of Heat Transfer & Thermodynamics, including phase transitions & chemical reactions.
• Project Management skills, or willing to be trained in this subject.
• Provide the ability to bring together component or sub-systems.
• Some travel may be required.
• Manufacturing experience helpful.
Skills and knowledge
• Good verbal and written communication skills. Must to be able to clearly explain the perspective of the engineering department to upper management as well as to the engineering team.
• Apply intensive and diversified knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practices.
• Able to make decisions independently on engineering problems. Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Able to handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently.
• Understanding of sheet metal and machined part fabrication practices and documentation standards.
• Strong ability to work with others and be an active part of a cross functional team.
• Identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and work to a schedule.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Education and experience
• BS in Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum of 4 – 6 years of experience as an Engineer I or similar role