Mechanical Engineer III
Performs mechanical engineering work that requires a high degree of technical competence. Conducts independent technical investigations involving the application of a wide variety of mechanical engineering principles.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Will actively participate as a global team member with other Engineers, Designers, Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, and Purchasing personnel to complete design projects quickly and cost effectively.
- Coordinate project tasks and schedules, delegate work to designers/drafters and support staff as required.
- Responsible for the design, prototyping, testing, specification and documentation of thermal processing systems, subassemblies and components. Responsible for the layout and detailed mechanical design and documentation of subsystems and subassemblies.
- Drives projects involving new concepts and approaches to the design on new products.
- Recommends materials and components for inclusion in design specifications based on past experience and on catalogue reference data.
- May travel globally to meet key customers, review customer specs, oversee equipment installations, solve technical problems with equipment in the field, provide technical expertise to the Sales organization, work with and develop suppliers, interact and direct engineering activities.
- Strong understanding of 3D Mechanical CAD and detailed drawings, Pro-Engineer/Creo preferred.
- Study industry standards and ensure that designs are safe and meet applicable industry safety requirements.
- Actively Participate in Design Reviews. Review designs with other Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, and Marketing personnel as well as equipment users to ensure that designs meet all requirements.
- Prepare and present written, oral visual material to support proposals, presentations, design reviews and written reports.
- Develop cost estimates for proposed projects which include labor and material costs.
- Maintain project folders and report project status to Manager, Engineers and others on a regular basis.
- Plan, perform or direct and document experiments to prove design performance.
- Strictly adhere to all BTU safety policies.
Skills and knowledge
- Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practices.
- Able to make decisions independently on engineering problems.
- Able to handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently.
- Understanding of sheet metal and machined part fabrication practices and documentation standards.
- Strong ability to work with others, be an active part of a cross functional team, including direct communications with key customers.
- Good problem solving and trouble shooting skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and work to a schedule.
Education and experience
- A minimum of a BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience.
- Microsoft Office experience.