Supplier Quality Engineer
Location: North Billerica, MA
The Supplier Quality Engineer works closely with supply chain, quality, manufacturing, and the engineering department, to facilitate and manage successful supplier partnerships to ensure BTU’s supply chain objectives and improve quality performance. The Engineer supports supply chain in the selection and qualification of suppliers and own the process of qualifying the parts, product or service being procured. In addition, maintain supplier performance metrics and measurements, facilitate product and process improvements, cycle time and cost reductions, and manage compliance to quality requirements. The Engineer also provides engineering and technical assistance to suppliers as required, establish, compile, produce, and analyze quality reports to discern quality levels and implement corrective action as appropriate.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Qualify suppliers through on-site surveys and other research means and perform periodic supplier audits.
- Facilitate the supplier rating system, communicate quality levels and target improvement activities.
- MRB representative for Quality. This includes subsequent investigations and initiating corrective actions.
- Lead role in determining first article inspections and driving associated follow-up activities.
- Interface with the shop floor personnel and others regarding issues associated with supplied product.
- Establish inspection and measurement systems including procedure development, specification interpretation, statistical sampling, and statistical quality as applicable—both within BTU and at the supplier.
- Develop and communicate conformance requirements and standards between BTU and the supplier.
- Collaborate with suppliers on quality assurance processes and procedures to facilitate continuous improvement of supplier and product performance.
- Solicit supplier inputs into product design, considering design for manufacturability, cost, reliability, parts availability, and more.
- Conduct technical interchange meetings with suppliers prior to start of production to ensure requirements are understood and can be met without limitation.
- Perform process reviews, first article reviews, and witness testing at supplier facilities ensuring procured product meets drawings, specifications, processes and statement of work requirements.
- Investigate trends and issue timely corrective action requests to suppliers to resolve discrepant material issues and determine root cause.
- Strictly adhere to all BTU safety policies.
Skills and knowledge
- Understanding of ISO9001 and other industry standards associated with quality program requirements.
- Interpersonal and technical skills to lead suppliers toward achievement of perfect quality product.
- Familiar with SQC, SPC, FMEA, DOE, process flow charting, and other related quality technologies.
- Understanding of electronic, software, and mechanical technology.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills, with an ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Broad knowledge of quality engineering and manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Technical knowledge of inspection and test techniques.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001-based quality systems, AS9100, and AS9102 is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with suppliers, peers and other functional areas.
- Able to read blueprints and/or drawing standards.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong technical writing abilities.
Education and experience
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a quality engineer, quality assurance or quality auditor.
- Travel up to 60% in US/Mexico/Canada
- Notes: Quality assurance for supplier products. Supplier quality for local sourcing. Understanding of quality management systems (ISO)