Mechanical Designer I
Location: North Billerica, MA
Designs major components of a system, layout complex electromechanical equipment / mechanisms in accordance with overall configurations and specifications from engineers. May work on new product design and/or modifications to existing designs.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for the layout and detailed mechanical design and documentation of subsystems and sub-assemblies.
- Investigates pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials, interchangeability, strength-weight efficiency, contractual specification and cost.
- Checks completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness and conformity to standard procedures and practices.
- Confers with engineers on design problems and recommends design process and procedure changes
- Recommends materials and components for inclusion in design specifications based on past experience and on catalogue reference data.
- Assures that complete, accurate parts lists are prepared.
- Makes complex alterations to drawings/models that may involve the redesign of equipment, mechanisms, or plumbing schematics.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering to insure designs are optimized using DFMA.
- Work is performed in a timely manner according to schedule dates and commitments.
- Strictly adhere to all BTU safety policies.
Skills and knowledge
- Knowledge of Mechanical drawing standards (ISO, ASME Y14 ‘Drafting and Document’) and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing preferred.
- Machine design and Solid Model CAD experience a must. Creo experience preferred
- Sheet metal & machine part design required.
- Working with capital equipment machines or in the semiconductor industry.
- Aptitude for learning and problem solving.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Understanding of preparing sub-system and detail drawings /models applying large CAD Model assembly management skills.
Education and experience
- Vocational / technical or trade school education with courses in drafting and mechanical design, or equivalent training.
- Associates Degree preferred.
- 0-1 years of related experience in mechanical design and solid CAD modeling.