Mechanical Engineer III
Performs mechanical engineering work that requires a high degree of technical competence. Conducts independent technical investigations involving the application of a wide variety of mechanical engineering principles.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Will actively participate as a global team member with other Engineers, Designers, Sales, Marketing, Manufacturing, and Purchasing personnel to complete design projects quickly and cost effectively.
- Coordinate project tasks and schedules, delegate work to designers/drafters and support staff as required.
- Responsible for the design, prototyping, testing, specification and documentation of thermal processing systems, subassemblies and components. Responsible for the layout and detailed mechanical design and documentation of subsystems and subassemblies.
- Drives projects involving new concepts and approaches to the design on new & existing products.
- Recommends materials and components for inclusion in design specifications based on past experience and on catalogue reference data.
- May travel globally to meet key customers, review customer specs, oversee equipment installations, solve technical problems with equipment in the field, provide technical expertise to the Sales organization, work with and develop suppliers, interact and direct engineering activities.
- Strong understanding of 3D Mechanical CAD, detailed drawings and bill of materials.
- Study industry standards, ensure that designs are safe, and meet applicable industry safety requirements.
- Lead and/or actively Participate in Design Reviews. Review designs with other Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, and Marketing personnel as well as equipment users to ensure that designs meet all requirements.
- Prepare and present material to support proposals, presentations, design reviews and written technical reports.
- Develop cost estimates for proposed projects, which include labor and material costs.
- Maintain project folders and report project status to Manager, Engineers and others on a regular basis.
- Plan, perform or direct and document experiments to prove design performance.
- Provide manufacturing engineering support for existing and new product Introductions from design through production. Review new or revised designs for form, fit and function ensuring manufacturing feasibility, optimum costs and quality based on DFX principles.
- Work with production personnel to resolve manufacturing problems, clarify, improve, and streamline manufacturing processes to assure efficient workforce and space utilization of the manufacturing environment. Identify problem, root cause, short-term fix, long-term corrective action and implementation plan.
- Strictly adhere to all BTU safety policies.
- Ability to travel 15% of the time domestic and international (Germany, Austria, Malaysia, Taiwan and others).
Skills and knowledge
- Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practices.
- Able to make decisions independently on engineering problems.
- Able to handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently.
- Understanding of sheet metal and machined part fabrication practices and documentation standards.
- Strong ability to work with others, be an active part of a cross functional team, including direct communications with key customers.
- Strong machine design experience with capital equipment.
- Good problem solving and trouble shooting skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and work to a schedule.
- Expert with 3D CAD modeling. Pro-Engineer/Creo CAD experience preferred.
- Design experience with selecting components for industrial gas plumbing in Semiconductor Industry.
- Manufacturing engineering experience helpful.
- ERP experience.
Education and experience
- A minimum of a BS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience.